Aisha T. Hosts Wild On India 2006

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

1/23/2006 Day 5: Mangalore

I take that back about the cell phones--people started turning them on as we descended. I heard messge beeps going off right and left.

Mangalore was nice and toasty when we landed. The airport was small with one baggage claim carousel and a crowd of people around it. Yeah, I was definitely in Southern Indian. Thankfully, my suitcase is in one piece although the left side's wheel is a little caved in. I think it will hold out. I collected my stuff and walked out. Father Ben was there with a Star Spangled Banner baseball cap and a giant smile. He is a priest who oversaw a few churches close to where my mom and dad live in Montana--although, he is originally from India. He had his brother-in-law, Larry, and nephew, Eril with him. Fr. Ben style, he took me to a coconut stand so I could have a drink straight out of a fresh coconut. The man at the stand had a machete like knife in his hand and tossed and chopped the top of the coconut open. He then inserted a straw and gave it to Fr. Ben to give to me. SO REFRESHING!

They brought me back to Fr. Ben's house. He had it built specifically in mind that he'd have many guests. Already, there were two gentleman from Plentywood, MT staying. They are traversing through from Goa into Southern Kerala. One of them had just spent a couple of months in Thailand.

I sat and watched cricket, then Eril's brother, Edril, came in and the three of us with their father headed to the beach. It was absolutely beautiful! The water was as warm as bathwater. and the sun was on it's way down. Eril, Edril and I walked trying to catch sand crabs. After the sun set, we went back so we could freshen up before dinner.

Fr. Ben LOVES being a host. Afer I had arrived, his sister and the girl that helps out at Fr. Ben's , Mary, made tea. Fr. Ben had a cake that the three guests sliced as our hosts sang "Happy Welcome to You" with the birthday song tune. Then he proceeded to force us to eat more than we could.

Same thing for dinner. Dinner was late but, the party started with another priest from Canada stopping by. Then, Eril, Edril and Larry came over and we had drinks and chatted. The two Marys (Edril and Eril's mother's name is Mary also) cooked up an amazing feast. Fish curry, prawns and okra. I took a little at first. I had quite a few Goan sausages while drinking before dinner but, I immediately popped up for a second plate. I shoulnd't have eatn so much because then came the apples--of course, I couldn't get away with eating just one--then a dessert piece which I managed to force down half. I was near bursting.

We all went to the living room and caught the last half of the Manchester United/Liverpool game. I was starting to fall asleep from all the food.

I did fall asleep on my bed while I tried to force myself to get ready for bed. But, I woke up close to 1am, stumbled out, got my teeth brushed and fell asleep.

Today is going to be jam packed--big itinerary that Fr. Ben set up.


*INTERESTING OR UNINTERSTING FACT OR PASSING OBSERVATION OR MAYBE I'M SNIFFING GLUE*
If you are travelling and have the opportunity to stay with people native to the area, DO IT! There is not a better experience of immersing yourself in the Indian culture and their generosity. Fr. Ben is like most Indians in being an excellent host and providing a gigantic spread of food. Although, I will say that as a host, he goes even above Indian standards in making sure his guests are comfortable, entertained, and fed. To not eat is offensive and try to be polite as your hosts try to ply you with third and fourth helpings of food. I found myself repeatedly saying I'm stuffed as one of my many hosts would hover over with a spoonful of rice or curries. Food is very important and Indians take pride in their flavorful dishes. They absolutely LOVE foreigners that adore their food and will try to make you fat in cooking non-stop. Take note that an authentic breakfast, lunch and dinner are well balanced with a spread of rice, breads, vegetarian and non-vegetarian curries. Usually fruit is eaten after a meal and in between and don't forget tea time. In Southern India, the foods are complex and many curries will accompany your plate of rice and breads. Eating with your hands is an art and done deftly--it can actually be a lot harder than it looks! If you have the chance to stay with people from India, know that you will be eating, constantly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home