Aisha T. Hosts Wild On India 2006

Saturday, April 08, 2006

1/22/2006 Day 3: Agra

Agra tour was amazing! After our late start, we got away towards Agra. We picked up three more passengers--two Russians and a man from Toronto.

Our guide met us at Akbhar's Tomb. Akbhar was the grandfather of Shah Jahan-the builder of the Taj Mahal. The place is also a preserve. Monkeys were crawling around all over the place and there were herds of deer grazing everywhere. Our guide was a slight young man with a ready smile. He ended up being a fount of knowledge on all our sites and was helpful, personable, and witty. He said his name once, but, I couldn't hear because I was in the back of the bus. One thing I've learned about the moghuls is that they were readers, mathematicians, and avid builders. It's amazing to think of life back then.

We couldn't take our bus all the way to the Taj Mahal. We had to change to a battery operated vehicle. The pollution lawas are pretty strict around the Taj. Anything that might mar the look and grounds of the site is prohibited. They are also very strict about what you are allowed to bring in. Food, cellphones, electronics of any sort (except for cameras) were not allowed. The place is immaculate. A sharp contrast to the streets of Agra. After we got our tickets, our booties (to put over our shoes as we walked around the Taj) and a bottle of water, it was off to security. Yes, these ladies were thorough. She was even nice enough to press hands intimately on my breasts and in my cleavage.

After feeling the need for a cold shower, our guide explained the gates and the buildings flanking the Taj Mahal. The moguls believed in symmetry--symmetry was a way of being close to God. I see a lot of sense in that. In most religions, at the core, there is a mention of balance. So, if one gate is built, there will be four total. There were buildings flanking the Taj Mahal On the left was a mosque, on the right, an empty one. Built for the sake of symmetry. This was true of all the Mogul sites we vistied--buildings built to keep symmetrical even if they weren't used.

I was allowed to take my video camera through the gate and stand on the dais. I was late in joining the group as they all took their pictures next to the Taj but, my tour guide took this one for me. Another guy kept snapping pictures while my guide took this one. In the end, the strange photographer tried to sell me the professionally finished photo but, my eyes were closed. When I told him my eyes were closed, he kept saying I was just looking down. As if I didn't know when my eyes were closed in a picture. I told him even if I was looking down, why would I want it--I still wouldn't want to show it to anyone or look at it myself.

The Taj Mahal is an absolutely stunning piece of work. To see the whole thing and to realize it's COMPLETELY composed of white marble is mind boggling. The inlay and carving all done by hand. Twenty-two years it took to build. Now, that's love. The only thing not symmetrical is Shah Jahan's tomb. It is out of symmetry with the rest of the site. Shah Jahan was going to build a black marble Taj directly across the river from the white Taj for himself. The clearing set for the black Taj can still be viewed across the river from the back of the Taj Mahal. His youngest son convinced the people that Shah Jahan was wasting their money and the money should go to the people. Shah Jahan was placed under house arrest for eight years before he died and was put to rest beside his wife--which makes the tomb out of symmetry. The money never went to the people.

The Moguls thought of everything. The Taj's towers are all leaning a little to te outside so in case any of them fall, no damage is done to the main building. The foundation is made of teak wood that are like shock absorbers in case there is an earthquake. The foundation also has 126 empty wells in case of a flood. Everything. I can't help but think that we have lost a lot of knowledge somewhere along the way.

I did have a moment of panic as we left the Taj Mahal. We lost two of our group. My first thought was, "Are we still going to get lunch?!" Selfish, I know but, I was starved! We ended up finding them outside the entrance gate. Right after they had bought t-shirts for a ridiculous amount of money (ridiculous for how much they were worth). Our tour guide told us to hold off till we got to a government run gift shop so we wouldn't get cheated. I was just relieved because we were headed to the restaurant.



*INTERESTING OR UNINTERSTING FACT OR PASSING OBSERVATION OR MAYBE I'M SNIFFING GLUE*
If you are not an Indian citizen, prices for admission to sites are quite a bit more than if you were. Still, coming from the U. S. it is not outrageous and at the Taj Mahal, one could exchange a $5 dollar bill as part of their admission. U. S. currency is welcome at a lot of sites as part of the exchange. There is usually an additional price for video cameras and digital camera usage. At the Taj and some other sites, I was not allowed to take my video camera past a certain point and was also charged to store the camera. Make sure you have enough smaller bills on you and in large quantities. These little fees add up.

1 Comments:

At 4:08 AM, Blogger Neal said...

I doubt that getting your breasts cupped was part of the security, but just them having fun with a tourist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home