Aisha T. Hosts Wild On India 2006

Friday, March 03, 2006

1/20/2006 Day 2: Touring Delhi

I am completly exhausted but am compelled to talk about the day. We landed in Delhi late, due to an overcrowding of planes trying to land at the same time. Immigration always makes me sweat. Even though I haven't done anything wrong. Yet. I was sweating anyway. It was 60 degrees Farenheit outside and I was wearing two sweaters.

Of course, immigration, baggage, etc. all took forever but, the hotel driver waited for me. At 1am, after 15 hours of flying I was glad I had a car booked.

The hotel check-in was smooth. The staff was helpful and polite. My room is nice. I mean, I am critical since I work in the business. They need to clean/paint the walls because the scuff marks give the illuission of shabiness. Also, wiping down appliances is a must. But, can I say that the bed is really comfortable! I took a shower, talked to my mom (who had called anxiously about 5 times, the hotel staff told me) and proceeded to stay awake because of jet lag. Finally, I fell asleep. Just to wake two hours later on my own accord right before the alarm went off. Grrr....I could have used that extra five minutes. I brushed my teeth, refreshed and went up for my breakfast. Breakfast was really good. It was on the top floor of the hotel overlooking the smog ridden city. I left after asking the doorman for directions to the tour company and walked to my destination.

And got lost.

I knew I was close but, it was frustrating because I couldn't find it. I asked a couple of randm guys. They pointed. I even asked some police officers who didn't have a clue. I bumped into one of the first guys I had asked and he exclaimed, "You are not there yet?! It's right down there!" He pointed vaguely in a direction.

I stared to walk in the direction of his finger and then, an auto rickshaw driver pulled up. He knew exactly where I was going because he heard the first guy yelling and pointing. He even knew which tour I was taking. Scary. He said he would take me there for Rs. 5. I took him up on it. In the end, I only had 10 and he had no change. He told me not to worry about it--actually giving me the ride for free. Almost unheard of that he wasn't trying to cheat me. He offered to pick me up at the end of my tour and take me back to the hotel for Rs. 10. I agreed. Kinda. I hurried in and booked my half day tour for the day and Agra tour for the next day.

As I walked in, there was a single late thirtish looking man with glasses. I guessed he was American or English. There was a couple speaking together in Hebrew--the woman stared at me as I sat across from her. Another woman in Indian garb who looked European. Christine was her name and she was actually from Spain. And an Asian woman in a showstopping outfit. She had on a white Indian style outfit with her hair tucked under a white scarf. She had about a dozen bindis (those 'dots' that Indian women put on their foreheads) of different colors decorating her forehead in a peacock tail design with the focal point being between her eyebrows. She was wearing boots with cloggy soles. Later on in the day, when it warmed up (it was pretty chilly outside that morning!) she pulled out a huge floppy brimmed camoflauge hat and white gloves. By the way, she pulled the whole outfit off. Not many people could. She was from Korea and a teacher on holiday. More tomorrow about today. I am completely exhausted.


*INTERESTING OR UNINTERSTING FACT OR PASSING OBSERVATION OR MAYBE I'M SNIFFING GLUE*
When transporting from the airport to your destination in India, always, always, always be careful. One should go to the pre-paid taxi stand and pay for a taxi or have a private car with a reliable and reputable company (best done through your hotel if staying at one) waiting for you. Not only will people try to scam you if you do not do this, but it can be dangerous with incidents such as the driver taking his fare out to the middle of nowhere and four guys with knives taking all your things. My car the hotel booked for me was 20 U.S. dollars. Very expensive in India considering my taxi back to the airport was about $4. But, at 1am, after travelling for so long and being a single woman, I figured my well being was worth more than trying to save a few bucks.

4 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

COOOL! Now I know this is here and I can read it. My pal KA went to India too, but he does't write about it as much as (I hope) you are going to do here.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Jameil said...

ok so now i'm even more jealous of your trip. that's it. i'm getting out of this country again by the end of 2007 if it kills me.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

Zooom, I think the problem is that I wrote too much! My last post took about 3 hours and it isn't a whole day. It's half of one.

Jameil: I found myself always saying,"I'm going to do this when I have enough money or when I get this one thing done or...." You get the picture. Then, I realized I sometimes have to say 'F*#k it, I'm doing this by this time--bedamned if it seems inconvenient or I might not have enough' Then, when I put my head to planning, everything seems to fall into place and budgeting starts to happen. My friend wants to go to Italy this October for her 30th birthday. I almost thought 'Man, I don't know if I can swing it.' Now, I'm saying, "Screw that, this is one of the best excuses I've had to go to Italy!"

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Karamale said...

AMEN, AISHA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home