Aisha T. Hosts Wild On India 2006

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

1/22/2006 Day 4: Mangalore

I'm not sure if the hotel clerks thought it was funny that I brought them New York City t-shirts or grateful or insulted. It was a hard read. I don't think anyone has given them anything before (other than money which I left a tip for them before I left) so I think they were just surprised.

I had a deuce of a time packing this morning. I hope my large suitcase is intact when I get to Mangalore. I got a taxi this time to the airport after breakfast. Rs. 250, it cost so I gave him Rs. 300. A steal in my book, considering that it amounted to about $4.50.

At Delhi airport, it was slightly chaotic. Jet Airways is great. I mean, really great service. The check in part is the part that is chaotic. Then there is security for everyone. I loaded my stuff up on the conveyor belt and went to the women's curtained off area to get the detector swept over my body. It always makes me think of going to a gigantic niteclub in New York City. I get frisked there too, but it's by a guy and in front of everyone sans curtain.

Of course, my carry-on, the one that was difficult to close, set something off and I had to open it. Indian airport security is really serious and thorough. Anything and everything that sets off an alarm gets the rubber glove search through. I managed to pry my carry-on open and have a bunch of my stuff fly out. As I darted pell mell to gather them, the guard started the check. Iforgot I had disposable cameras in there. He'd asked me if I had any cameras before I opened it up. I said no. I opened up my soap box for him, watched as he studied my ipod charger and video camera charger. Then, it was on to the more serious stuff. He opened my makeup bag and riffled through. My eyelash curler came out and he gave them a squeeze. My box of O. B.'s were next. The box was opened and he extended a finger and probed the 18 tampons in the box. I was unfortunate enough to have my period start early this week or else it would have been 20 he could have fingered.

I don't mind the thorough security checks. Trust me, I like that they go in depth rather through bored routine.

I had a layover in Mumbai airport. the airport is very nice. I think I like the Mumbai vibe better than the Delhi vibe. It's a little more relaxed. Maybe it just seemed so because I was with friends of the family in Mumbai before but, I just wasn't really fond of Delhi.

I had to go through security AGAIN at Mumbai. The staff was more personable than Delhi airport. As I went through the female check, the girl wished me a nice day. It was also a girl who checked my sensor alerting carry-on. But, when she got to my makeup bag, she pulled out the eyelash curler, grinned, and said, "Eyelash curler." I laughed.

I put everything back in order and she came up and asked if my eyelashes were real. The person making sure that everybody had the security check stamp on their boading pass and bags was also female and said she wanted to know as well. I told them I was born with my lashes but, then proceeded to give a makeup demo to show them how I did my eyes. The girl checked me through as they both told me they loved my makeup and I headed to the gate after I held up a bunch of people with the demo.

At least on this leg of the flight there isn't any amazing annoying asshole that insists on using a cellphone. The first leg from Delhi, the guy in the seat ahead of me and to the right wouldn't turn it off when the doors closed. Then they turned it on again and started using it during the flight. After a third time, the flight attendant threatened it was the last warning and his cell phone would be taken away. The first annoying guy was just an oblivious ass. He also tried to plow through the aisle after we landed to get out the door first. We were in the middle of the plane. I was relieved to see he wasn't on this leg of the flight. The flight attendants had the patience of saints.



*INTERESTING OR UNINTERSTING FACT OR PASSING OBSERVATION OR MAYBE I'M SNIFFING GLUE*
A great way to get around India is by plane. The great thing about the domestic airlines is they have special packages where you pay one price and can fly to many places within two weeks or if you buy four legs, it is $400--coupon prices in bulk etc. They make it easy to fly and not hurt the wallet TOO much. Indians do not mess around with security so be prepared to answer some questions and get your stuffed opened. I got pulled to the 'backroom' for a curly hair hair drier at 17 years old. I was scared! Some of the domestics airlines are: Indian Airlines, Jet Airways and Kingfisher (the last is he newest and I've heard has even more amazing service than Jet Airways)

1 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger MZPEACH said...

I would have searched you two, you look like the type that would have some interesting things in her suitcase..loll.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home